Accomplishments vs. Realities of being a man (so far):
1. “I am 18, I am a man.” vs. receiving a selective service card and knowing what it actually means.
2. “I have my own apartment, I am a man!” vs. “Why the hell is the food bill so high? I just bought condiments!”
3. “I married this woman, I am a man!” vs. The wife: “No one gives a damn about your past accomplishments.” “Your decorating skills suck.” “You smell.” “Oh that looks nice — in the crawl space.” Etc.
4. “Look at my first born. It is only the best for her (him)!” vs. “24 newborn diapers = $25.00 — 10 size-4 diapers = $25.00. How does that work?
5. “I have a family, I am a man!” vs. “Life insurance? A will? You mean I am going to die at some point?”
6. “My kid is going to dominate at sports!” vs. “How much for (pick a sport/activity/lesson)? My kid isn’t even that good!”
7. “I am going to work to support my family, I am a man!” vs. Daycare bill. (Note: My children attend a very good daycare and I am not above a giving a plug — for a discount (unlikely)).
8. “Look at this house! I have all of this play area for my child.” vs. “Now how in the hell do I fix that?”
8a. “Look at this house! I have all of this play area for my child.” vs. The wife :“Whelp, we are pregnant with number 2, and we need a bigger house.”
9. “Look at this paycheck! I have made so much money!” vs. “Look at this paystub! This can’t be all of the money!”
I think I’ve just depressed myself.